Well I have waited long enough for the unveiling. In the last post I ventured forth with thirty adages or proverbs that were sort of “translated” into a modern interpretation. You were invited to take part to try to reassemble them back into their original form. Some of you worked on them, some of you didn’t. I hope they added a little to your thinking over the past few days.
In any event, here are the proverbs as I re-wrote them and the solution (the original form…)
- The presence of a winged creature clasped by the phalanges is equal in value to twice the number in the short shrubbery. Ans: A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
- To speak not at all is the color of a precious metal. Ans: Silence is Golden.
- If the product of the last is the correct size, use it for its purpose. Ans: If the shoe fits, wear it.
- A vessel while being scrutinized will not vaporize the contents. Ans: A watched pot never boils.
- A person of dubious intellect and the coin he carries will be separated quickly. Ans: A fool and his money are soon parted.
- Dry your grass for feed while an orb of burning gas is present. Ans: Make hay while the sun shines.
- Panhandlers in action are not able to exercise choice. Ans: Beggars can’t be choosers.
- It is best to choose wisely to avoid having to repent. Ans: Better safe than sorry.
- It is always best to avoid speaking and invite doubt about your mental state, than to expound on the subject and allow no room for argument. Ans: It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
- Seeking after the unknown caused the death of the feline. Ans: Curiosity killed the cat.
- You should not enumerate a totality of poultry while they are still shell-bound. Ans: Don’t count your chickens before they hatch.
- Do not cause tears to fall because of mammary fluid that has left its vessel unbidden. Ans: Don’t cry over spilled milk.
- All members of the canine species have a 24 hour period unto themselves. Ans: Every dog has its day.
- Those of diminished capacity hurry to a place where godly helpers are afraid to walk. Ans: Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.
- A compatriot who requires your assistance is truly your friend. Ans: A friend in need is a friend indeed.
- When possessed with knowledge beforehand, you are better prepared. Ans: Forewarned is forearmed.
- Extreme prior knowledge of a subject causes a lack of respect. Ans: Familiarity breeds contempt.
- Well designed and maintained physical boundaries allow for harmonious relationships with those who live next door. Ans: Good fences make good neighbors.
- Large and strong trees are first conceived from small mast seed. Ans: Mighty oaks from tiny acorns grow.
- Ill conceived speed is the cause of destruction. Ans: Haste makes waste.
- Hades is not nearly as dangerous as a female who is denied acknowledgement. Ans: Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.
- The one who delays his decision unwisely is forever doomed to wander. Ans: He who hesitates is lost.
- If thinking and wants were four-legged animals, panhandlers would have a method of travel. Ans: If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.
- When you cast your lot for a small coin, you might as well figure on wagering a larger amount. Ans: In for a penny, in for a pound.
- Mirth expressed is the best solution for complaints. Ans: Laughter is the best medicine.
- Observe carefully before jumping into the fray with both feet. Ans: Look before you leap.
- Calm and silent things are frequently very complex. Ans: Still waters run deep.
- When the handling of items is quick and continuous, the tasks are easily completed. Ans: Busy hands make light work.
- Those who constantly exhibit despair and regret prefer the solace of others of like mind. Ans: Misery loves company.
- A noisy round device used for transport receives ample lubrication. Ans: The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Okay, so there you have it. The answers I know you were waiting for… 🙂