Recently I have had cause to exercise my brain a little. I say “a little” because the subject is one of more than just slight speculation. Over the years I have had this thought nagging at me, so today I decided to put an end to it. The subject of this work is Proverbs or Adages. You know, those trite little sayings that have been in use for years. Our parents and grandparents used them and passed them down to us. And yes, we use them too. We probably shouldn’t, although I am certain some of you will disagree with that. And that’s okay too. The point is, those cute little sayings deserve a little modern attention.
So, here is my accounting of a few of the better known adages, proverbs and profound sayings. Oh, by the way, you probably won’t recognize these because I have “translated” them into different terminology. Your job is to translate them back. Try to figure out the original saying…..
I will give you the answer to the first one…..then you are on your own. Good luck.!! Answers will follow in a day or so.!!
- The presence of a winged creature clasped by the phalanges is equal in value to twice the number in the short shrubbery. Ans: A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
- To speak not at all is the color of a precious metal.
- If the product of the last is the correct size, use it for its purpose.
- A vessel while being scrutinized will not vaporize the contents.
- A person of dubious intellect and the coin he carries will be separated quickly.
- Dry your grass for feed while an orb of burning gas is present.
- Panhandlers in action are not able to exercise choice.
- It is best to choose wisely to avoid having to repent.
- It is always best to avoid speaking and invite doubt about your mental state, than to expound on the subject and allow no room for argument.
- Seeking after the unknown caused the death of the feline.
- You should not enumerate a totality of poultry while they are still shell-bound.
- Do not cause tears to fall because of mammary fluid that has left its vessel unbidden.
- All members of the canine species have a 24 hour period unto themselves.
- Those of diminished capacity hurry to a place where godly helpers are afraid to walk.
- A compatriot who requires your assistance is truly your friend.
- When possessed with knowledge beforehand, you are better prepared.
- Extreme prior knowledge of a subject causes a lack of respect.
- Well designed and maintained physical boundaries allow for harmonious relationships with those who live next door.
- Large and strong trees are first conceived from small mast seed.
- Ill conceived speed is the cause of destruction.
- Hades is not nearly as dangerous as a female who is denied acknowledgement.
- The one who delays his decision unwisely is forever doomed to wander.
- If thinking and wants were four-legged animals, panhandlers would have a method of travel.
- When you cast your lot for a small coin, you might as well figure on wagering a larger amount.
- Mirth expressed is the best solution for complaints.
- Observe carefully before jumping into the fray with both feet.
- Calm and silent things are frequently very complex.
- When the handling of items is quick and continuous, the tasks are easily completed.
- Those who constantly exhibit despair and regret prefer the solace of others of like mind.
- A noisy round device used for transport receives ample lubrication.
As you have undoubtedly figured out, some of these are easy……Others, not so much so.!!! I didn’t start out to try to confuse you. Just some rambling thoughts………In any event, answers will follow.!!!